Beginning in the early 18th century, Bagheria became the site of a number of grand palaces and villas built by the Sicilian nobility. In an effort to move closer to the Spanish viceroy, the king’s court, and the political center of Sicily, these Sicilian princes and barons began to construct their summer homes in Bagheria, seven miles from Palermo.
Francesco Bonanno, Prince of Cattolica built his villa in 1736. The main facade has a double Baroque staircase. The villa hosts, since 1973, the Museum of Contemporary Art dedicated to the Sicilian painter Renato Guttuso.
Be First to Comment