Since 1027 it has been in possession of the Bishops of Trento. In 1473 it changed hands and was passed to Sigmund dem Münzreichen, territorial lord of Tyrol. Only then the castle received the name “Castel Firmiano” or “Schloss Sigmungskron” in German. The large castle complex is located on a hill between Bolzano and Appiano and hosts, since the year 2006, the “Messner Mountain Museum”, founded by the famous alpinist Reinhold Messner.
Castel Firmiano is considered as an emblem of the South Tyrol region as it is where the first steps towards an autonomous province have been made.